23 Oct Future stars of science score regional and national awards
The science faculty celebrated a number of student achievements this month, with students collecting awards in the regional science fair and a range of competitions.
- Distinctions in the ICAS Science Competition were awarded to Kara Hamilton, Matthew Suter and Jake McNaughton.
- Students entering the Big Science Competition also achieved highly, with Ruben Roberts, Andre Castaing, Campbell Suter earning High Distinctions and Tyler Duckworth earning a Distinction.
- In the Australian National Chemistry Quiz a High Distinction was awarded to Matthew Suter and Distinctions awarded to Andre Castaing and Zoe Risner.
- Andre Castaing also achieved a Distinction in the Otago Science Competition.
- Saul Ramsay, Zoe Risner, Andre Castaing, Kara Hamilton and Matthew Edmonds all attained specialist awards at the Cawthron Regional Science and Technology Fair last month.
An exciting opportunity is ahead for Kara Hamilton, a Year 13 scientist selected to attend the Powering Potential conference funded by the Royal Society. Kara is one of forty students nationwide who will attend four days of workshops and labs in Wellington in early December this year. Kara attended XLAB in Germany earlier this year, and clearly has a bright future ahead of her in the sciences. Watch this space!